Squadron Notice Board

Home Forums Squadron Notice Board

• This topic has 342 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by admin.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 343 total)
  • Author
    admin
    Keymaster

Yesterday I spotted an Ex. Sapper with an ‘Inglis’ badge on his shirt so searched to find what it meant.
    Is there anyone old enough out there to have seen these?
    Historic military bridge makes final journey
    DONCASTERFREEPRESS.CO.UK
    Historic military bridge makes final journey
    One of the last military bridges installed to form access to RAF Sandtoft, a Second World War airfield, has been removed after it was installed sometime in 1943/44.
    https://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/news/historic-military-bridge-makes-final-journey-474413?fbclid=IwAR27PHndiWNwRBYQqFck4TO_mo2TIQyEX7bGJXQISLwdjAkGC3mO00vl2zI

Chrisellis
    Participant

Because of the restrictions being imposed on us all by Covid, it would appear that hoteliers are cutting their losses and demanding payment with booking. Worse still they are not offering a refund under any circumstances but would allow you to move to another date if either you can’t make it or the whole thing is shut down by Covid. In fact it’s not dissimilar to the Waterbech arrangements but I’m pretty sure we could have claimed our money back from them because, when we booked it (or Gordon did), nobody had ever heard of Covid. However we have looked around and made enquiries of other venues and it’s pretty much a standard thing for now at least. Apparently if your name is Johnson or Boris the rules do not apply. The dilema – for me and a couple more couples – is that we had booked before we knew the rules and only realised when the money left our accounts so we will just have to live with it but, as one of those living the nearest to the hotel and blessed with the kind of wife that never misses an opportunity to spend my money, it shouldn’t be a problem moving the date on to one where we could both go later. After all who could turn down the opportunity of a weekend away with Helen. We’ve been hard at work (on your behalf) and come up with a solution. The hotel has allocated us 30 rooms which they have guaranteed to hold unless we need more in which case they will increase the number. So do not book the hotel until the week before the due date. That would raise another problem in that a lot of people look on the list to see who is going before they decide if they are going so: We now have a new Web Site Manager in the form of Ray Rodgers who has very kindly volunteered himself and a chunk of his family so we are going to have a list on there of who is going so that (a) Sammy can keep a count of the rooms required and (b) everybody will know who else is going. Any improvements to this arrangement will be tolerated. I am informed by Dave Biram that there is a facility on face book where it can be copy pasted so that people who prefer to use that site will be included.

Ray will post the list just as soon as Sammy has provided him with the list of bookings and pledges to date

admin
    Keymaster

With the loss of Chris’s IT guy and nobody else coming forward I have agreed to take over the admin of the website. I do have the support of my daughter and grandson who both have experience with this. If you are having problems with the site or there are changes you would like please let me know.
    I have retrieved some of Bob’s old site and will add these. I also have a thought to add a section for your memories etc. It would be good to have some of the old stories lost from Bob’s site, if anyone has kept copies I will add them.

Gordon Dadd
    Participant

Sorry Ray but my IT skills (or lack of) don’t stretch that far. Try and persuade Jonah Jones to have a look at it.

RayR
    Participant

Gordon

Some of the original photos posted by Bob and copied to Facebook either had a description or places/names came up when you hovered the cursor over them, can you replicate this on the website please? It certainly helps.

Gordon Dadd
    Participant

More photos added to Photo album

Gordon Dadd
    Participant

Sorry Chris but I haven’t got the IT skills to even think about it

Chrisellis
    Participant

And a very good job you’ve done too Gordon. By coincidence we are looking for a web site site manager (although you can call yourself anything you wish) The pay scale will be easy to remember because it’s none and, from my own personal experience I know you can tolerate the intolerable. A perfect skill set for such a position.

Gordon Dadd
    Participant

I have copied all of the photos from Bob Blakey’s site into the Sqn Photo Album on this site

RayR
    Participant

Has anyone got a link (web not Facebook) to an old shiny 7 site, working or not currently. If so please copy it to me as I am trying to recover Bob’s old site with all the stories and photos on. Yes there may be Plant Department photos as well hopefully.
    Not these links:
    shiny7.webs.com/
    shiny7.co.uk/
    shiny7.uk/ ( This is Geordies site)
    shinysevenassociation.webs.com/
    Thanks in advance

Ray

Geordie C
    Participant

Available in the Sapper Shop. £35

SAPPER SHOP – The place to buy all things Royal Engineers

Geordie C
    Participant

Thanks for the photos, Gordon.  They are nice to see.

George

Geordie C
    Participant

These mega-rich globalists think they have the right to shape our future.  Zuckerberg, Billionaire Gates, Klaus Schwab, Soros, and the big tech giants.

Gordon Dadd
    Participant

I have put some photos of the reunion on the Wisbech page, sorry some are a bit blurred but I don’t profess to be a photographer.

Chrisellis
    Participant

I was watching Mark Zuckerberg on TV the other day and he thinks he’s come up with a brand new fantastic idea.

He’s decided to call Face book and all its dominions META. He’s also come up with brand new idea of referring to the universe as the  METAVERSE  as though it was a new concept.

Perhaps someone should point out that we’ve already had a Bonaparteverse and a Hitlerverse and neither of them was much of a success.  Also his army has a pretty poor track record of winning.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 343 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.